Wednesday 21 May 2014

Prom is close!


The highlight of senior year and the look-to goal for all high school fashionistas, prom is probably the best occasion to showcase yearly trends and walk on the red carpet feeling like a diva.

This time last year, I was in an obsessive frenzy of getting myself a perfect dress for the most important (according to me) event in my entire high school life: my prom.
I had found the design on Pinterest and knew it was both perfect for me and unique, so I wouldn't face the misfortune of finding someone with the same dress. I asked a designer "friend" of mine about helping me and not charging me an arm and a leg and ended up crying on the day of the event because the amazing "designer" had managed to make a fool out of my dream-dress and my mom had to cut it and perform some last-minute alterations.

But don't be scared! I'm here to give you tips and tricks so you can look fabulous for your wonderful night and don't grow a handful of grey hairs in the process.

1. Timing is everything
I managed to blunder this big time when it was my turn to attend prom, but it shouldn't be yours! It might be a little bit too late for some now, but even if you have just a week before prom, take advantage of the moment and don't wait until D-Day to purchase a dress or try and make arrangements for hair, nails and make-up. You still have a lot of days to practice walking in that amazing pair of stilettos so you don't get blisters from simply sitting in those shoes!

2. Work with your body
Everyone might love that mermaid dress or that short bodycon, but let's face it: we're not all Victoria's Secret supermodels and those dresses will only make you want to frown the entire night. Instead of choosing a dress too short and trying to pull its hems the whole length of the party, go for a longer length that's still flattering.

3. Don't fear alterations
Going back to point 1, where I recommend trying to buy your dress as in advance as possible, you should always leave time for alterations. You might gain/lose weight or not, so you should take that into consideration. You might also find an amazing dress that just doesn't do enough justice to your butt, but you can always find a seamstress to take it in or loosen it a bit.

4. Prep your prom clutch
You've obviously bought yourself a lovely clutch to go with the outfit, but on the day you'll probably panic and have no idea what to throw in it, either making it a big bulge of sparkly fabric or forgetting something essential. The essentials you should put there are: some cash for unexpected expenses and maybe a cab ride home, mini make-up samples matching your own make-up and possibly a sample of your perfume, so you can freshen up during the magical evening.

5. Pe prepared
It might be summer and it might be hot, but you shouldn't forget to carry a blazer or a cardigan, just for when you're going to take your date out of the restaurant for some romantic star gazing. Also, after every picture's been taken and your feet just want to move to the groove, get a small bag with ballet flats you can comfortably jump around it.

6. Make memories
Don't forget to have fun! After all, you only get one high school prom and one chance to enjoy it with your dear high school mates. Take a million pictures, laugh the whole night and get yourself discussion topics for the 10-year meet-up.


I was searching the web in inspiration for this post and I stumbled upon an e-mail from Dress Dressy, so I decided to give the website a look. There I found some wonderful prom dresses online, perfect for looking glamorous at prom. Check out my selection bellow:

1 / 2 / 3
There aren't that many opportunities to dress up in long lavish gowns, so why not take advantage of prom and get to dress yourself up in very luxurious long dresses, embellished with jewels or lace?

1 / 2 / 3
I don't know about you, but I've always loved feeling like a princess, and what better occasion than prom to do that? My personal favourite is the red lace one, I love how the lace seems to blend with the skin without even showing that much skin. Not to mention, the dress isn't too puffy, which makes it that more luxurious.

1 / 2 / 3

Though not for the girls that drank too much Pepsi during the year, this type of dress is certainly extremely sexy and can be very flattering. Choose either a simple uni one or a widely embellished one and you're guaranteed to get noticed!

1 / 2 / 3

But then again, this time of the year's hot and short skirts work great with high heels. Go for A-line short dresses that emphasize the waist and lengthen your legs beyond compare.


And just before I finish this post, I'll let you some of my very own photographic memories from last year, when I had my prom.







0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.

© Alexandra's Musings, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena